ADA Legacy Tour Makes Stop at Abilities Expo Boston
To commemorate the upcoming 25th anniversary of the historic passing of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA25), the long-anticipated ADA Legacy Tour will make a stop at the Abilities Expo Boston. The tour kicked off at Abilities Expo Houston in July on the 24th anniversary of the game-changing legislation.
The ADA Legacy Tour is a traveling exhibit designed to raise public awareness and generate excitement about ADA25 and is produced by The ADA Legacy Project, Disability Rights Center, ADA National Network and the Museum of disABILITY History. The mission of the ADA Legacy Project is to preserve disability history, celebrate its significant events, and educate the public and future generations of advocates.
As the premier event for people with disabilities, Abilities Expo is the ideal launching pad for the year-long, nationwide tour which will culminate in Washington DC on July 26, 2015, exactly 25 years after President George HW Bush signed the ADA into law.
As a part of Abilities Expo, the ADA Legacy Tour will feature the ADA Bus, a four-panel display on the history of self-advocacy, displays on the preservation of disability history, celebrations of disability history milestones, efforts to educate future generations of disability advocates and more.
"We are thrilled to play an intricate part of the ADA Legacy Tour," said David Korse, president and CEO of Abilities Expo. "The Expo provides the community of people with disabilities access to life-enhancing products, education, resources and fun. And, like the ADA Legacy Tour, Abilities Expo is a celebration of what you can do."
Abilities Expo is honored to host the Tour in multiple cities on is nationwide trek. The tentative schedule is as follows:
2014 - Phase One
- July 25-27 (Tour Kick-off): Abilities Expo Houston
- August 6: St. Paul, MN hosted by Minnesota Governor's Council on Developmental Disabilities
- September 5-7: Abilities Expo Boston
- September 17-18: Millersville, PA hosted by Millersville University of Pennsylvania
- October 7-10: Albequerque, NM hosted by 2014 Southwest Conference on Disability
- October 17-20: Albuquerque, NM hosted by APRIL Conference
- November 21-23: Abilities Expo Bay Area
- December TBA: Toledo, OH hosted by The Ability Center
2015 - Phase Two
- January 28-31: Orlando, FL hosted by Assistive Technology Industry Association Conference
- February TBA: Phoenix, AZ hosted by Arizona Bridge to Independent Living
- March 6-8: Abilities Expo Los Angeles
- March TBA: Berkeley, CA hosted by Ed Roberts Campus
- April TBA: Denver, CO hosted by Atlantis Community/ADAPT
- April TBA: Topeka, KS hosted by Topeka Independent Living Resource Center
- April 16-19: Nashville, TN hosted by Tennessee Disability Coalition and the American Occupational Therapy Association
- April TBA: ADAPT Spring Action
- May 1-3: Abilities Expo New York Metro
- May TBA: Buffalo, NY hosted by Museum of disABILITY History
- May 10-13: Atlanta, GA hosted by National ADA Symposium
- May TBA: Birmingham, AL hosted by Disability Rights and Resources
- June 10-13: Atlanta, GA hosted by Society for Disability Studies Conference and National Center for Civil and Human Rights
- June TBA: Bloomington, Indiana and Indianapolis, Indiana hosted by ADA Indiana
- June TBA: Milwaukee, Wisconsin hosted by Independence First
- June TBA: Missoula, Montana hosted by Montana Independent Living Centers (Countdown!)
- July TBA: Rochester, NY hosted by Center for Disability Rights
- July 13-14: New York, NY hosted by Viscardi Center
- July TBA: Chicago, IL hosted by ADA25 Chicago
- July 26-28: Washington, DC hosted by NCIL and ADA25 Week
Pre-Register for Abilities Expo Today...It's Free!